Thursday, October 17, 2024

Former Cllr and Leader of Richmond, Serge Lourie

 Farewell Serge Lourie, Liberal Democrat, friend, councillor, leader, work colleague, runner, walker, housing champion, fundraiser, community champion, terrible humorist, but a model of how each and every one of us can strive to be a force for good. 

It was 1994 I think, I was President of the Students Union at the University of Nottingham and the new president elect was Madeleine Durie. I was in London and we met up at her house and she said I should meet the neighbour: Liberal Democrat Cllr Serge Lourie.

And so started a long acquaintance with Serge. He was probably most excited when he found I had been born at Kingston Hospital and birthday after birthday I would get greeting along with appeals for donations to the Hospital.

When I found myself on the Management Committee of ALDC (The campaigning local government arm of the Lib Dems) Serge was a significant voice for devolution, for fair votes in local elections, for land value taxation - determined, but always very good humoured. 

When I found myself at the Liberal Democrat office at the LGA Serge was a wise and friendly voice for advice on issues facing Boroughs and in particular in the battle to have realistic and achievable plans that built more affordable housing.

As my parents moved back to South West London after 50 years in Lincolnshire, Serge was one of the folks with whom I was able to touch base on news and moral amongst the Lib Dem’s as we sought to recover from the terrible national elections of 2014.

No longer a councillor, he had stepped back from front line politics, but his judgement, his instinct and his counsel, if sought, was offered freely, thoughtfully and with good humour. He was, I think, a little bemused when I sought his advice: “surely there are others more in touch” he would say.

He was gently put out and also amused when I described him as a equivalent & polar opposite of the professional grumpiness of Lord Tony Greaves, but he also appreciated that I respected his experience and accordingly his judgement.

He has gone too soon, but today, Madeleine’s father, Serge’s neighbour rose to pay tribute to his friend. It was emotional, funny, wide ranging and heartfelt - Sir David reflected our own sorrow for the hundreds of us there when his voice broke as he spoke of the energy and the love that Serge brought to the causes he championed.

As I sat in the sun at the reception afterwards chatting to runners, walkers, Liberal Democrat councillors, MPs, Lords, charity volunteers, people from Bushy Park, Kingston Hospital, from local housing associations and from friendships spanning decades - I gave thanks that I knew him, that I had the good fortune to sit alongside him in a work context, and grateful for his interest in me.  

Enjoy the next race, you have run your personal best in this world, and I was pleased that I came down from Derbyshire to Kew to be there and to see you over the finishing line. Thank you, Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Former Cllr and Leader of Richmond, Serge Lourie

 Farewell Serge Lourie, Liberal Democrat, friend, councillor, leader, work colleague, runner, walker, housing champion, fundraiser, communit...